Sunday 14 August 2016

Cats, Dogs and Vikings

Good morning - I have a few cards today using Avery Elle products, some new and one older one that we've been waiting ages to get back into stock.


For the first one, I had to ink up the stunning new cat from the Dear Santa and with that look on her face I wanted to have her do something naughty to match the sentiment so I used the lights from Retro Ornaments and wrapped them around the dog from Happy Howl-idays.  To do this I stamped it on rough paper to get the shapes I wanted and then started again on card stock with the lights first which I coloured and covered with glossy accents before stamping the dog.  This is a form of masking as you can wipe the ink off the lights when you stamp the dog over the top.   For the background I used the fabulous new Falling Snow die on white card and placed it on one of their new Silver Fox base cards.   Avery Elle have discontinued their mixed colour card packs so all we have left are all we will have.  Silver Fox was their most popular colour request and is a lovely soft grey (NB it does not have a silver sheen)

Then, as with the real life version, I wanted to show that a cat is not just for Christmas so I used it to make an anytime card too.


I used the Avery Elle Burst die direct onto my card with a rubber mat so it just embossed the lines and didn't cut the edges.  I stamped the cat twice and on the second removed the ink from the eyes before stamping so I could just draw in the eyes without eyelashes to make a boy cat and for him I just trimmed off the bow after colouring.   The sentiment is from MFT's new and super useful Essential Sentiments.


For my last card I used the Viking which has been oos at Avery Elle for ages so I am thrilled I can use him again now we have him back as he's just wonderful!   I have an article in this month's Simply Cards and Papercraft all about creating scenes using the End of the Rainbow die from MFT and here I have one more use for it - a viking longboat!




To create the scene I stamped the Viking, coloured him with copics and fussy cut him out.  The rainbow was cut from Kraft card stock and I blended a little darker ink on the bottom.  The sea was created from two layers of patterned paper (scraps from my stash but any blue would do) and I cut the wave using MFT's Stitched Cloud Edges die.   The sentiment is another from Essential Sentiments.



NEWS FROM THE STORE

  • Tomorrow sees the great new release from Mama Elephant and we have it already so it will be live in the morning.
  • The order I made to Altenew in July has FINALLY shipped so we hope to have it early this week.
  • Lawn Fawn have now confirmed that their release date will be 25th August.  We haven't had confirmation yet that our order has shipped but we normally manage to get it just in time to release when they do.
  • We are still waiting on Hero Arts to reach the UK distributor - we'll let you know when it arrives.

Catch you later.

Tara


4 comments:

  1. Great cards Tara. After seeing the falling snow die I went to your shop to buy it and ended up buying lots more!! And there was me trying to be good this month!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, Tara, this is so great.
    I love the first one and the look of cat's face with sentiment. Poor dog ;) Great job how you put the lights around him. I could bet you've stamped the dog first.
    And Viking's boat ;) I would never guess it is rainbow ;) Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic cards - love how you've changed the stamps to create a whole new look!!
    Hugs,
    Caryn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Sven, you hunk! He looks great on his boat. Loved your article! Xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment - we hope the blog inspires your creativity.
The Seven Hills Crafts Design Team