Monday 28 March 2016

Owl Prints


Happy Bank Holiday Monday... hope everyone is enjoying the Easter break despite the wild weather of storm Katie overnight!!

I'm using one of the older mini stamp sets from Lawn Fawn for today's card and making patterns with it. I love the little owl in the You're a Hoot set and he's a solid stamp so perfect for a 'Printed' style of pattern...


I started by choosing a colour scheme by nosing around on Pinterest and then cut quite a few masks using the coordinating owl die and some masking paper.

I simply placed the masks on a piece of card and then inked my background colour over the top. Before removing the masks I used the Linear Woodgrain background to add an extra detail with a slightly darker tone of the background colour. Then it was time to peel off the masks and begin stamping the owls into the white spaces... I love that you don't need to be perfectly accurate for this step, off-centre stamping adds to the overall effect :)
I trimmed a strip from the panel so I could pop it up above the sentiment on a piece of blue card and called it done :)

Whilst I still had the masks and was feeling a little braver I decided to repeat the process straight onto a card front in a different colour combo...


This time I used the MFT Linen background and pigment inks to stamp the owls as the card base is off white and I wanted my colours to stay true :) I haven't added a sentiment to this one yet.... sometimes it's good to keep your options open ;)

                                        
                                           

This is one of those techniques that makes you go back through your stash and see older stash in a new light, solid stamps are perfect for this and it's another great way to use those metal dies too... hope I've inspired you to give it a try :)

Thanks for stopping by
Jenny x


9 comments:

  1. This is fabulous!!! I love the sort of retro 70s look it has. Would be great in orange and greens!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this technique and love your choice of stamps. Would love to know which colours you used for the stamping, especially the first card. I am going to search the stash for this one. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katya, for first card I used MFT dye ink in Coral Crush and Natural, Memento Nautical blue and Ranger Java Bean for the owls. With weathered wood distress ink and Hero Arts Pool in the background.

      The second card has evergreen bough DI and Field greens in the background with Memento Luxe Dandelion, angel pink, espresso and Mama elephant Rainwater for the owls.
      Glad you like the technique... it's a fun one to explore patterns and colours with. Thanks for leaving a comment x
      Jenny :)

      Delete
  3. Great technique! Thanks for explaining how you did it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic retro design, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this Jenny! soooo gonna have a go myself x

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE LOVE IT!! Super cool and great idea..will def try it myself too!
    thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this, this is a set I bought and I don't think I've ever used so you have definitely inspired me :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment - we hope the blog inspires your creativity.
The Seven Hills Crafts Design Team